Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vacation from Vacation

The past four days were some of my favorite so far in Puerto Rico! Stewart came to visit me ;) He got in late Thursday night, while I had been at his hotel since that morning, checked in, laying out at his awesome rooftop pool, vacationing from my vacation! The hotel he stayed at was the San Juan Water & Beach Club, which is a really modern hotel right in the middle of Isla Verde (San Juan) on the beach! The hotel was so cool- there were white lounge chairs and furniture and blue lights everywhere, so once it was dark out and the hotel was lit up white and blue! The staff at his hotel was also incredibly nice and im pretty sure we were best friends with them all before he left!
When he got in later Thursday night we went to get some food at Lupis, a Mexican grill down the street from his hotel, and then went to the rooftop of a different hotel called the El San Juan (ESJ). The rooftop here was huge and made me feel a little like home...ha, because the owner of the bar on the rooftop there went to school in the south, so everything was decorated about the south- like one sign on the wall that said "put some south in yo mouth!" and there was a mechanical bull, so needless to say, we had a lot of fun!

On Friday, I got back over to Isla Verde early in the morning so we could go to the beach all day and hang out in Isla Verde. We also went to a good little place to eat lunch on the beach called the Mediterranean Cafe! We had some great Calamari there..but where didnt we? Everywhere we went out to dinner I think we had calamari and it was amazing! Later that night we decided to go out in Old San Juan, eat dinner there and then go to a live Salsa show!

(I cant figure out how to turn this picture to the left, but this is a picture of the salsa club we went to!)


For dinner we went to the Parrot Club and had excelent food once again, and then walked just down the street to a Salsa Club, which I cant remember the name of. The Salsa Club was so authentic and I absolutely loved it! I hope Stewart is not too scarred either because when he asked me to dance there, I had to reject him--I didnt think we could hang with the salsa pros! Ha..They played all night long and we had a blast meeting all kinds of people there.

Saturday, since Stewart had a rental car, we went exploring all day pretty much in Old San Juan. We went to El Morro (the fort), the center of Old San Juan and just walked all around, because Im still amazed by the gorgeous architecture of the spanish style buildings and the narrow cobblestone streets.
This is Stewart in front of an area in Old San Juan known as La Perla. Its right on the north coast of Old San Juan, just before the El Morro fort.
Then, this picture below is us in front of the cemetary, on the right side of the actual El Morro fort. The sight in person is absolutely breathtaking and unbelievable that such horrible wars were fought in this gorgeous scenic area.
Saturday night was a big night and really fun! At the hotel Stewart was staying at, there was a big reggaeton DJ, Tony Touch and some reggaeton artists that were playing on the rooftop part of the hotel. They handed out flyers and told us it was free and to bring guests. So I called up some of my other exchange student friends and we invited them to the hotel to come to the free show! It was a blast because we never do anything like that and the music was really awesome and everyone had a great time and we all got home safe together!

Sunday morning Stewart picked me up around 7:30am so that we could drive to Fajardo, Puerto Rico, get on the 9am ferry and go to Culebra!!! I had to make sure he saw Culebra before he left because I know it the most beautiful island and reminds me exactly of LOST! (this is stewart acting out an important LOST seen for any fellow watchers!) We got to Culebra around 10:30am and were able to have the entire day there. We found some snorkeling masks and swam up to the coral reefs that are in the shallow waters still (even though I was a little terrified!) and there were these big beautiful white fish swimming all around--they loved us! There were all kinds of fish galore by the coral reefs though.

We also walked up and down the coast of Flamenco beach and looked at/got in the military tanks left on the island!

Later on when we proceeded to get something to eat at a kiosk nearby, we saw a girl I have met before that is from KY and goes to the other University in San Juan and her exchange student friends. We also met there some people from Colorado who came down to Puerto Rico for a wedding and decided to check out Culebra. So that was really fun to meet some new people and we hung out with them pretty much the rest of the night at the kiosk bar thing till we left the next morning. The next morning we headed back to San Juan and my amazing Vacation from my vacation (the academic recess) is officially over as I am studying for a test right now ;(