Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Capoeira


Every Mon-Wed and Tues-Thurs, my university offers free Capoeira classes. Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines martial arts, music, dance and an intense workout basically. This art form was brought to Brazil in the 16th century by slaves from Africa. Its purpose remains to be a matter of debate with theories ranging from views of Capoeira as a uniquely Brazilian folk dance with improvised fighting movements to claims that it is a battle-ready fighting form directly descended from ancient African techniques... Just a little history for ya!

So, I went to this class last night and it seriously kicked my BUTT! It is a 2-hour class, which I'll be going to every Tues and Thurs now, taught by a man actually from Brazil, who speaks Portugese almost the entire class-- which also makes it a little difficult! It was so intense though from push-ups, to crunchs, to all kinds of high kicks and other martial arts moves I don't know what to call! It was fun though and should whip me into shape real fast!